Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The ‘Street Evangelist’ Story

It was a few years back now. I was studying at Spurgeon’s College, and Claire and I had gone into London for the evening. We walked across Leicester Square, and saw that a large crowd had gathered around one particular ‘entertainer’. As we got closer , we realised that the crowd was mostly Asian, and that the ‘entertainer’ was attempting to tell them about Jesus in King James’ language!

However, as we walked past – Claire with her head down and her hands over her ears (she knows what I’m like) I hear this preacher speak the amazing line: “Verily, Jesus said, many who call themselves Muslims and Hindus will not be entering the kingdom of heaven!”

I’m afraid that I couldn’t let that go. Claire disappeared to the other side of the Square, totally embarrassed, while I asked the man to show me, in his Bible, exactly where Jesus had uttered that line. The crowd started cheering me, and the ‘Street Evangelist’ was left with no option but to pack up and go home.

And I still think that was a job well done!

1 comment:

Avinash said...

Very glad you did that. Way to go.

cellphoneCell Phones