Tuesday, July 10, 2007

preaching theology or sociology?

Last Sunday I had an interesting conversation with Jim, from one of the Methodist Churches in our circuit. He was noting that, maybe ten years ago, what he heard in sermons was generally theology. But, these days, we seem to be preaching more sociology. Why is that?

I thought back over my last few months' preaching, and put my hand up. Guilty as charged. In the sermon Jim was referring to I had set out the distinctions between churched, de-churched and unchurcd groups in our communities, and the urgent need for churches to reach the unchurched and not just the de-churched. I think that's an important message. But I'm now asking myself about whether I need to try to strike some sort of balance between pointing out the need for change (lots of fun in a Methodist circuit setting where I am a bit more itinerant) and pointing to the glory of God. Hmm.

No comments:

cellphoneCell Phones